Love At The Well

Well was when my story really began. Following directions, I found the well, and filled my
bucket. As I made my way back, I met a neighbouring young man whom I had known
previously as a lankly shy bashful young fellow who always carried a hurley while he was
It was the Summer of 1958. I was an eighteen year old leaving cert student, eagerly awaiting
“The Call” which meant that I would be offered me a place in Carysford Training College .
I made the usual visit to our mother’s cousins place in rural Kilkenny. I went by train, and
arrived at my destination in late evening. In these pre telephone days, I didn’t know if my
arrival was expected, but I was warmly welcomed anyway.
The smell of the coal fire, coupled with the smell of cows and milk transported me into a
different environment. The need to draw water from a well was a novelty for me and our
water pump at home seemed very up to date.
My first journey to the bringing in the cows for milking. Now I was confronted by a tall blond
confident young man who, laughingly asked where was I going. “Here, let me carry it for
you”. From that moment I was smitten and better still, I thought he seemed to be too.
His name was Eddie and as the days passed, we saw a lot of each other. On a Sunday night,
we attended a carnival dance in a marquee in a village some distance away. It was probably
at that dance that our romance blossomed on the way home in the back of the Anglia. Other
dates were arranged including an outdoor dance on a well -known dance board where
couples paid a small sum of money to gain entry to the floor. A number of local musicians
played under the trees. As the light declined we cycled home in the still warm summer’s
As the weeks passed, it was time for me to return home .“The Call” was delivered by post
one August day and so my journey to Dublin and college came in September 1958 when I
entered Carysford Training College.
During my first year in Dublin, Eddie and I exchanged letters and during my first Summer
holiday from college I made the trip again to Kilkenny. By this time, Eddie had commenced
working in an insurance office and he had just purchased a motor bicycle, and, as he lived
just next door to my cousins house, we met often. We made lots of trips on his motor cycle
up into the nearby hills. We attended hurling matches, marquee dances and to a dance in
the Metropole Ballroom in Kilkenny where the famous Mick Delahunty’s band was playing.
There, Eddie introduced me to some of his school friends.
After these two magical Summers of our youth we were never to meet again. The paths of
our lives took us on different paths. I met and married my husband and was happy together
for over fifty years until he died five years ago.
Meanwhile, Eddie continued in the insurance business, went to England where he set up his
own business and married a Kilkenny girl.
Now, as I am eighty years old, I have to say that this meeting on the road in rural Kilkenny,
carrying a bucket of water from a well, led me to the love of my life.
I will never forget him.